Sunday, December 14, 2008

Most difficult about the paper writing process (ENG 3010)

I hate writing. There are many areas in the writing process that I am bad at, and hence I have always hated it. Given any topic, the first challenge for me is to find: ‘Where to start from’. I get stuck before even getting started! After thinking extensively, when I finally have something to share about, I face difficulty in generating my ideas into written expression. Many times I have some vague idea for a topic but have to drop it just because of my inability to put it into words. I am poor at delivering my thoughts and ideas to the readers in a way that would explain them the logic behind it. I am unable to strongly assert my view points to the readers over an argument.
I lack the skill of organizing ideas in a smooth flow. I fail to make a smooth transition from one subject matter to another. Often times whenever I settle down to write a narrative essay, I am incapable to organize the events in the order that seems rational to the readers. I jump to a different focus without giving a proper justification for the first one but then return to it again. As a result of this, the essay turns out to be quite monotonous and unorganized.
I constantly feel to the need to improve my writing skills. I have already started working towards it. Each day before going to bed, I write a brief summary of how I passed my whole day. I write about people I met and things that happened to me that particular day. Hopefully this works in my favor.